The Belarusian State Pedagogical University has a 100-year history of training teachers and educators. Today the walls of the University are open not only for Belarusians, but also for international students who want to get a quality education in the field of pedagogy.
BSPU named after Maxim Tank was first formed in 1914 and was named the Minsk Teachers’ Institute. Over 105 years of its existence the university has changed its name more than once and only in 1995 received the status of the pedagogical university.
The structure of the Belarusian State Pedagogical University includes:
- 10 faculties
- Institute for Advanced Studies and Retraining
- Institute of Psychology
- Institute for Inclusive Education
- Structural units (Center for the Development of Information Technologies, Center for the Development of Pedagogical Education, Educational and Publishing Center, etc.).
Education in BSPU can be done at one of ten faculties:
- Aesthetic education
- Primary education
- Pre-university training
- Preschool education
- Socio-educational technology
- Physical education
- Physics and Mathematics
- Natural sciences
BSPU offers several options for training programs at various levels of education. In addition to higher education of the first stage, it is possible to study in postgraduate school, master's degree, retraining courses and advanced studies. The University provides ample opportunities for retraining specialists on the basis of higher education, including the opportunity to obtain the necessary qualifications for teaching in the field of their first speciality. This opportunity is given to specialists in law, economics, management and a number of other specialities
Status of the university and academic programs
BSPU is the largest center of continuing teacher education in Belarus. Over 300 BSPU teachers are Candidates of Science, and 54 teachers are Doctors of Science. The University has concluded over 60 international cooperation agreements, which allows expanding the horizons of education, organizing internships and student exchanges.
BSPU is a full member of the Eurasian Association of Universities and the Association of Rectors of Pedagogical Universities in Europe. Citizens of 19 foreign countries constantly study at the Belarusian State Pedagogical University among them Azerbaijan, Iraq, China, Lithuania, Latvia and others.
For foreign citizens an Information and Consultation Center on the educational issues of foreign citizens has been established. Foreign students can study at BSPU at 4 levels of education:
- Pre-study courses
- Higher education of the 1st level
- Higher education of the 2nd level (magistracy)
- Postgraduate study
Russian is the language of studying, so students who do not know the Russian language must first complete preparatory courses. Successful passing of exams after completing the courses serves as the basis for admission of the applicant to become the 1st year students.
According to the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities rating, the Belarusian State Pedagogical University takes the 10th place among Belarusian universities. In the world ranking, it takes the 5986th place. Today, the Belarusian State Pedagogical University is involved in three international projects:
- International IESED project (“Innovative education in the field of information and communication technologies for socio-economic development”)
- International FOSTERC project (“Promoting the development of competencies in Belarusian higher education”)
- International ELA project (“Development of legal education modules for pedagogical areas of training as a contribution to the establishment of an education system based on the protection of the rights of participants in the educational process”)